Mum’s dungaree pattern: How I did…

When I started sewing my mum gave me some patterns that she used to sew us when we were children. The one I’ve used the most is a vintage 1980s dungarees pattern. IMG_1416

I don’t even know who its by! haha. I only have sizes 2/3, 3/4 and 5/6 so I’ve only made view 2 (the boys version).

A wee while ago I got a few Riley Blake fabrics on sale from a facebook retailer I follow. One of them was little flyers: IMG_1341

So cute! and retro! My favourite part of the design is this 50s/60s star that reminds me of the Jetsons! IMG_1419

I do love fabric – it’s one of my favourite things about sewing 🙂 There are so many colours in this fabric I was spoilt for choice with the thread I used: IMG_1415

I wanted it to contrast, but I think I played it a little safe by choosing the green closest to the camera. Note to self: be braver next time!

I adjusted the pattern as I wanted it to be shorty dungers for the youngest for this summer :).

Once you’ve sewn the centre seams of the front and back, you sew the in-seam, quickly followed by the side seams. Because I’d adjusted the pattern to shorties there was a bit of a discrepancy in leg length between front and back haha.

As these big bits are sewn first then you get an idea of what the finished product will look like pretty quickly: IMG_1422

So cute 🙂

Next up was the arm hole facing. Firstly you need to assemble the facing. You cut 2 front facings and 2 back facings from the fabric. They do look rather similar so I use my air erasable marker to mark which is front and back (I have also done the same with the main bodice of the dungers because again they are quite similar!). IMG_1424

You match pairs of fronts to backs. Pin and stitch, right sides together.

Flatten out into one piece:

Next is to pin the facing right side to right side of the arm hole, as you want it to encase the raw edge.

Match seams also.

Once pinned, sew.

Once you have sewn this seam, you need to flip it to be wrong side to wrong side. IMG_1441

Pin,

and sew, topstitching to keep the facing over to the inside. Use a longer stitch so as to look like topstitching.

Next, either sew the bottom edge of the facing to the garment or finish the raw edge. IMG_1447

Next are the straps. Put each strap piece right side to right side, pin:

Sew

Clip seams and corners and turn the right way out

I like to topstitch, so I decided to topstitch these

Next is to assemble the front and back yoke pieces. For the back yoke the straps need to be attached. Firstly they need to be attached in the right position to one back yoke piece.

Next, is to attach the other back yoke piece to this, being careful not to keep the straps out of the way!

Once sewn, turn right side out

And once again my top stitching obsession kicks in haha IMG_1464

Repeat for the front yoke, without the straps obviously IMG_1465

Now, you need to attach the yokes to the main bodice. There is a right, well finished way to do this and there is the way you do it when you’re rushing as you want them to wear it the next day and you’re being mithered. I choose the second method haha. I attached the yoke to the main bodice, right sides together – both pieces of bodice.

For both front and back piece.

Just an FYI the correct, well finished way involves attaching one layer of yoke to front and then slip stitching. It does look sooo much better, but when its for your own child and you’re desperate for them to wear it this way will work as well for simple garments – although it does add bulk to the seams.

Lastly is button holes and buttons. I love these star buttons that hubby got me for another project ages ago that I never used! clever hubby! haha

This is the finished project:

And the youngest wearing it for nursery this morning:

I love it, it is so cute and he is so very cuddle-able in it.

This isn’t the first time I have made this pattern. I have done a shorty version for both the youngest and no3 last year out of some fabric I was given from my grandmothers stash by my aunts.

These were age 2/3 and 5/6 years. The pattern does actually call for front pockets to be added but I didn’t want to add them to the latest version as I think the fabric is too cute to obscure.

I also made the long (correct) version for the youngest for last winter. I made it out of heavy linen and added a fire engine applique as that’s what he was into last winter and contrast pockets in red from my stash. I loved this, and the pictures of him in it I think he looks like a child model! haha. Unfortunately he outgrew this before winters end (it can be rather short in the crotch this pattern unfortunately) – might make him a similar one for this winter 🙂

So, overall I do love this pattern, it is simple to make and you can experiment with it, personalising it etc. Its just a bit babyish, and I’m quite limited with sizes as its a vintage pattern. I’m sure I’ll be making it again as I’m sure you’ll agree my boys look so cute in it! 🙂

 

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Mum’s dungaree pattern: How I did…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s