Custom (spotty!) mixer cover….

A friend asked me to make her a mixer cover, after giving me the dimensions.

 She asked for it to be made in spotty duck egg fabric. I had no idea how I was going to do it so queue my saviour pinterest (again!)

I drafted the measurements and some ideas down based on he other projects pinterest users had uploaded. IMG_2758

Very rough, but this is how I plan, I just vomit ideas onto paper helps me organise my thoughts. Would be interesting to see how others do it?

Next was the cutting out. Having watched the sewing bee I wanted to try one of these new fangled rotary cutters. No idea what to do with them, but thought I’d give it a try…. I just bought a cheap 45mm one and I already have a cutting mat. IMG_2765Next was drafting a pattern piece for the end pieces. Just a rectangle would do for the side pieces. I just did this on a piece of greaseproof paper (necessity I find, sooo much cheaper than pattern paper etc) and used my quilting ruler to draw an dome at the top.

Next I pinned and cut out the pattern pieces. I really should of practised with the rotary cutter on a scrap piece of fabric – and I knew I should – so that didn’t go too well! But I ended up with usable pieces (2 end pieces and two side pieces)

Not content with using a rotary cutter for the first time, I also decided to use backed quilt wadding for the first time too. So I needed to cut out the same pattern pieces form that. I wasn’t confident using my rotary cutter on these so I went back to my trusty scissors.

 I actually really liked this material! But I have no idea what you’re supposed to do with it so I just made it up as I went along (as usual! haha)

I decided I wanted to put piping around the end pieces, so made it up as usual (see my post about binding and how to)

Next I decided that I would just attach each wadding piece to each corresponding fabric piece, so as to get 4 pieces with the wadding on.

So, wrong sides to wrong sides I pinned and sewed.

Next was to attach the piping to the end pieces so that they would run around the edges once the cover was complete.

NB: due to the thickness of the material I used a nicely thick needle, 100/16. IMG_2791

it was at this point I was mortally wounded: IMG_2806

A blood transfusion later and I survived – so it wasn’t a mortal wound! phew! haha

Next was to put together the pieces, starting with the side pieces, right sides together to form one wide piece, with the seam in the centre of the top of the cover.

As you can see this straight rectangle has straight sides. The end pieces have curved sides. It is pretty hard to get straight fabric to curve around curved edges. The way I get around this is to put small snips along the straight edges so as to help them to curve easier.

Once I am satisfied with the curve its time to (carefully) sew

I then need to trim the bulk off the seams and any excess fabric at the bottom

Next, I attached binding around the bottom edge so as to finish it off.

All done! Hope she likes it 🙂 here it is covering my sewing machine 🙂

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Custom (spotty!) mixer cover….

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s