Final part to the lovely sailor dress pattern and how I did. The bodice is the hardest part on this pattern, and so now this is done! There are a couple of fiddly bits on the skirt part.
First there is a cut line on the front bodice pattern piece
You need to mark onto the fabric on both sides where this line is – giving you a V once the piece is opened out. You stitch along this line – stay stitching – and then slash inbetween these two lines so you have an open V.
The piece for the opening is just a rectangle piece, which you pin and stitch to the right side of one side of this V.
Next you turn this to the inside of the skirt and then stitch the piece of fabric onto the other side of the V, and stitch the bottom shut, giving you a V pocket.
Next I put two rows of pink binding onto both the front and the back skirt pieces, measuring where I felt they needed to go so they were at the same height front and back.
Next, you sew the front and back skirt pieces to one another.
Then you need to gather. I did this in 4 parts: 2 at the front either side of the V, and 2 at the back breaking in the middle.
I do the lazy way of gathering. You don’t get as even gathers or as good looking results with the ‘proper’ way to gather, but at the moment its good enough generally. All you do for the lazy way of gathering is to set your machine to the longest stich with the highest top tension and sew 🙂
There are 2 threads, the bobbin and the top thread, you need to pull one of these, I like to pull the bobbin thread. When you pull it properly gathers the fabric 😉 viola 🙂
Next is to attach the skirt to the bodice. I pinned and stitched the skirt to the bodice right sides together, starting at either side of the V and matching seams.
One thing I always seem to do when stitching a gathered skirt to a bodice is catch some of the bodice so I end up with this:
Soooo, unpicker time…. and restitch.
The pattern requires 3 buttons on the opening of the bodice. So you sew button holes onto one side of the bodice (above the V in the skirt)
I have been lamenting only having a automatic button hole more than normal recently. I wish that I had a 4 step buttonhole as an option, as it is such a nightmare when bulk etc stops the buttonholer working to complete the buttonhole fully. You have to unpick and restart every time, where as with a 4 step buttonhole you just select the stage you are at and continue.
In order to keep the sailor collar ends together there is a stitched on ‘woggle’. This is just a loop of fabric stitched between the button holes on the bodice.
And then hem the bottom
Lastly to sew these pretty pink buttons on 🙂 I did it whilst watching the great British sewing bee 🙂
And the final product, in age 1-2 years this time. I do love a sailor dress and can’t wait to see my niece wearing it 🙂